Candida is a controversial term because most of the medical professionals deny its existence making it very difficult to get a medical diagnosis of Candida. But many of Western Medical Doctors/ Naturopaths are beginning to recognize it. So, if you feel this can be apart of your case history, find a doctor who best represents your needs.
Candida is the popular term for Candidiasis (yeast overgrowth)--a condition first identified by American physicians in the 1970s.
Moderate amounts of Candida (and other yeast) live in every one of us without causing any harm, but when given free rein to grow when intestinal bacteria is killed by antibiotics, drugs, NAID’s, alcohol and other items (listed below) it leaves an opportunity for invaders to recolonize the intestines. Eventually, if left untreated, Candida can mutate into a fungal form or commonly known as a single cell parasite.
Once Candida mutates it begins to break down the intestinal lining and eventually breaks through the intestinal wall, once through the intestinal wall it now moves through the bloodstream and anywhere blood travels such as organs, tissues, joints and bones.
SIMPLE and FREE CANDIDA SALIVA TEST
|| Do you know if you have Candida—a systemic overgrowth of yeast that can affect many aspects of your health? This saliva test is a good indicator of Candida and you can do it yourself!
You may want to put out a glass of water in the bathroom or on the nightstand the night before you wish to do the test just to remind yourself not to brush your teeth prior to spitting into the glass.
Yes, we have seen people test negative for yeast with this test. If you do NOT have a yeast concern, your saliva should stay at the top of the glass and will eventually dissipate.
If you have Candida, the test should look like this. You may have all or only one of the elements shown here.
A standard and universally accepted written questionnaire was developed by Dr. William G. Crook, which you can find at, click on Yeast Tests. It will help you and your doctor determine the level of yeast infection in your body. The number of symptoms that one can suffer from can be a real eye opener.
Contact us at the above number for reading material and several methods of dealing with Candida.
"The content on this site is provided exclusively for information purposes, and it is not in any way intended as a substitute for professional medical advice. Neither the content nor any other service offered by or through Claremont Colonic & Nutrient Resource Clinic is intended to be relied on for medical diagnosis or treatment."
- Sugar Cravings
- Bad Breath
- Muscle Aches
- Hay Fever
- Food allergies and
- Depression/ Anxiety
- Weight Gain or
- Ear Infections
- Chronic Tiredness
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Fungal Infections
of the Nails
- Hormone Imbalances
- Athlete’s Foot
- Jock Itch
- Sensitivity to Perfume,
Tobacco, Smoke, etc.
- Skin Rashes
- Joint Pains
- UTI/Bladder Infections
- Repeat Sinus Infections
- Foggy Brain
- Diarrhea and/or
- Itchy Anus
- The Contraceptive Pill or HRT
- Natural Progesterone Cream
- Use of Steroids Such as Hydrocortisone and Prednisolone, etc.
- Immune-Suppressive Drugs
- Repeated use of Broad-Spectrum Antibiotics for Acne
- Dental Mercury Amalgam Poisoning
- Other Heavy Metal Poisoning; Lead, Cadmium
- Chemical Poisoning From the Home, Garden and Workplace
- Hormonal Changes; Puberty, Pregnancy and Menopause
- Emotional Stress
- Stage 1: Initially it can damage the intestinal wall which in time allows undesirable toxins to permeate into the bloodstream. This condition called ‘leaky gut syndrome’.
- Stage 2: Candida goes through the intestinal wall and spreads through out the body and can build in each of the organs; brain, liver etc. There is scientific research indicating a correlation of Alzheimer’s Disease and Candida.
- Once Candida has entered the blood stream, it has the ability to disrupt the endocrine system causing symptoms such as:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Allergies and Environmental Sensitivities
- Depression and Anxiety
- Nutritional Deficiencies Due to Malabsorption
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Skin Problems
- Respiratory Disorders
- Intestinal Disorders
- Heart Conditions
- Digestive Problems
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Blurred Vision
Treatment for balancing Candida: Tone and balance the gut.
- eliminating any environmental toxins in foods; i.e pesticides, antibiotics, hormones...the easiest way is to read the ingredients of what you are wanting to consume and if you can’t pronounce it then your body probably will not like it.
- Probiotics/ Good Bacteria is one of the best supplements anyone can take. It helps to replenish the good bacteria needed in the gut while helping to heal damaged intestinal cells.
- Helps to eliminate toxins stored in the tissues and throughout the body. A clean Start!
- This is an amazing tool to restart and begin any cleanse, diet or detoxification program or just to begin to have bowel movements again. If your bowels are not eliminating 1 –2 daily...then where is all the fecal material going? And if your body is storing it, what is it really doing to the rest of the body.
If the bowels are sluggish, then nothing else can work efficiently.
For more information about rebalancing the body, we have a 30 minute health consultation.We can answer and help guide you to a healthier lifestyle.
For an appointment, please call us at 909-603-9200
Excerpted from "The Nutrition Detective" pp. 125-129. (No longer in print)
There is no simple treatment for Candida. Stopping the growth of the fungus and driving it out of the tissues are the goals of a multilevel treatment that includes:
- Immediate elimination of antibiotics, birth control pills and other hormone-altering substances.
- A diet designed to stop feeding the yeast.
- homeopathic liquid, like Candex--which permeate the intestines and help destroy Candida throughout the body or Ayurvedic remedies like NVD.
- Strengthening of the immune system through supplementation. Specially a good probiotic.
The diets required to starve out Candida eliminate all sources of yeast and fungus and all sugars and sweets, including lactose-containing dairy products, except for butter. If you can handle going on a fast do it.
Mild cases of Candida (yeast infections and vague symptoms that are recent) will usually respond to the Candida Diet No. 1
Moderate Candida (chronic, severe yeast infections or definite, interfering symptoms) would best respond to the Candida Diet No. 2
Severe cases, which may have begun in early childhood or are debilitating (cannot work, difficulty functioning), would require the persistent efforts of the Candida Diet No. 3
Each diet is listed with foods to eliminate, to reduce, and to emphasize. In addition, each level has its recommended nutritional supplementation.
For persistent vaginal yeast infections with no other symptoms. This diet will help you get the Candida under control and prevent recurrent outbreaks.
- Sugar in all forms, including honey, except occasional whole fresh fruit.
- Fungus, moulds, and yeast in all forms, including vitamins and minerals.
- Most B vitamins (unless label states otherwise).
- Most breads and commercial baked goods. (Yeast free is possible but must be fresh because of moulds)
- All alcoholic beverages.
- Vinegar and all foods containing vinegar, including salad dressing, sauerkraut, green olives, pickled vegetables, and relishes.
- Some crackers (read labels carefully for yeast ingredients).
- Fermented products including soy sauce (tamari) and tofu.
- Dry roasted nuts.
- Potato or Corn chips.
- Most commercial soups.
- Apple cider and natural root beer.
- White flour.
- Bacon and other pork, which often contain moulds.
- Whole grains and starchy vegetables until symptoms lessen.
- Fruit and diluted fruit juices, which may cause yeast to grow.
- Nuts and seeds (small amounts).
- Beans and other legumes (small amounts).
- Eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, seafood, lamb, and veal.
- Vegetables except corn and potatoes.
- Vegetables that inhibit the growth of Candida: raw garlic, onions, cabbage, broccoli, turnip, kale.
- Take for one month.
- Yeast-free multi-vitamin/minerals
- 1000 milligrams vitamin C, three times a day
- Zinc , start with 25mg increasing to 75mg every evening
- Probiotics/ acidophilus tablets to increase intestinal bacteria.
For chronic vaginal yeast infections, or additional symptoms which prevent you from feeling really good, begin with this diet. If Diet No. 1 did not clear up your symptoms, incorporate these suggestions into your program as well.
- Same as Diet No. 1 -- Plus
- Wheat, oats, rye and barley, which contain gluten and can feed Candida.
- Fruit and diluted fruit juices, high in fructose (fruit sugar).
Same as Diet No. 1, except for some whole grains: brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal.
Herb teas and spices, which may contain moulds.
Same as Diet No.1
- Yeast-free multi-vitamin/minerals
- 1000 milligrams vitamin C, four times a day
- Lactobacilus acidophilus in large quantities with approx. 2 billion organisms per gram) to help repopulate the intestines. Take 1/2 teaspoon morning and evening on an empty stomach.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil with 2 teaspoons oat bran, three times a day, to help keep fungus from crossing the intestinal barrier.
- 100 micrograms selenium for immune system support.
- 400 iu dry vitamin E for immune system support.
- 20,000 iu beta carotene for immune system support.
- Digestive enzymes, with pancreatin, after meals and before bed, to help digest the food you eat as well as undigested food particles in the bloodstream.
- Zinc , start with 25mg increasing to 75mg every evening
- Yeastmax to improve immune response and eliminate the fungus.
Some people are debilitated by Candida and cannot function at work or can barely get through the day. If you were exposed to high levels of antibiotics as a child, or if you have had severe symptoms for more than four years, go directly to this diet. If your symptoms did not clear up with Diet No. 2, advance to this one until they diminish.
- Same as Diets no. 1 and 2.
- Dried meat and smoked meat, fish of poultry, including sausage, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked turkey, and smoked salmon.
- Nuts and seeds, which may contain mould.
- All grains, except a little rice and millet.
- Herb teas and spices.
- Eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, seafood, lamb, or veal, sautéed in a little butter or safflower oil or baked with vegetables.
- Steamed, sautéed, or baked vegetables, especially onions, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, turnips, and kale. All vegetables are fine except potatoes and corn, which are high in carbohydrates.
- Sautéed vegetables on rice cakes, or a vegetable omelete.
- Salads seasoned with safflower oil and a little fresh lemon juice.
- Gazpacho, tomato-based fish chowder, vegetable soup.
- Small quantities of rice and millet. A cold rice salad with steamed vegetables, seasoned with oil and lemon juice; sautéed rice with vegetables, or simply steamed vegetables with either grain are a few ideas that will work on this program. Rice cakes, found in some supermarkets and health food stores, can be used instead of bread.
- Vegetable sticks with guacamole dip (avocado, fresh tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, and a little salt) for a snack.
- Yeast-free multi-vitamin/mineral.
- Digestive enzymes with pancreatin after meals and before bed.
1000 milligrams vitamin C an hour (up to 10 grams/day) for immune system.
Acidophilus in large quantities to repopulate the intestinal bacteria. Take 1/2 teaspoon morning and evening on an empty stomach.
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil with 2 teaspoons oat bran, three times a day, to help keep fungus from crossing the intestinal barrier.
- 100 micrograms selenium three times a day, for immune system.
- 400 iu dry vitamin E two times a day for immune system.
- 20,000 iu beta carotene, for immune system
- Pau D'Arco tea (taheebo tea), an herb tea from South America, which kills fungus, one cup three times a day.
- YeastMax to improve immune response and eliminate the fungus.
- Nystatin in powder form, available by medical prescription.
- Zinc , start with 25mg increasing to 75mg every evening.
As soon as you are free from symptoms, begin reintroducing a few foods slowly. The last ones to add would be sugar, yeast, vinegar, and mushrooms.*
It may be necessary for you to stay on the Candida Albicans Diet for a number of months. The more thoroughly you are able to stay on these diets, the faster you can eliminate excess Candida. However, it is better to be on a modified diet than on no diet at all. Some patients would rather eat sugar or have a glass of wine occasionally even though it may mean being on the diet for a longer period of time.
Drink at least 2 litres daily of clean pure water. Consider lymphatic drainage techniques (Dry skin brushing)to keep the lymph system moving. Also consider exercises like a rebounder.
Claremont Colonic and
Nutrient Resource Clinic
370 North Indian Hill Blvd.
Hours: Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
or by appointment
Saturday: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
or by appointment
Sunday: by appointment only
GIVE THE GIFT OF HEALTH!
Consider treating someone special with a gift voucher from Claremont Colonic and Nutrient Resource Clinic. Contact us at 909-603-9200 for more information.